This 1890s photograph shows a view of the Elephant Statue, in front of Town Hall. There are handwritten notes, "Memorial of King of Thailand to Singapore. in front of Town Hall", on the front of the photograph. This statue was a gift from King Chulalongkorn, expressing his gratitude for the hospitality he had received for his visit to Singapore in 1871. Erected on 25 June 1872 in front of the Town Hall (present day Victoria Memorial Hall), the statue was later moved to the Court House (present day Arts House) in 1919. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.