This 1980 photograph shows a train on the railway tracks at Bukit Timah Station. The railway station was opened in 1915 as part of the Singapore-Kranji Railway, also known as the Singapore Government Railway. Constructed between 1900 and 1902, the line ran from the terminal at Tank Road to Kranji and Woodlands, where it continued to Malaysia via the former Federated Malay States Railway. On 1 July 2011 the line closed following a historic land-swop agreement between the Singapore and Malaysia governments. Title devised by Library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All Rights Reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board Singapore 2009.