This photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co., taken between 1900 to 1909, shows a view of the Cavenagh Bridge. There is a handwritten note, "Cavenagh Bridge from Marine Police Station" on the front of the photograph. Built in 1868, the Cavenagh Bridge was named after Sir Lieutenant General William Orfeur Cavenagh, the last Governor of the Straits Settlements (1859 - 1867). It was the last major work of the Indian convicts based in Singapore and was the oldest bridge across the Singapore River. In 1909, the bridge was converted into a pedestrian bridge when nearby Anderson Bridge opened. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.