This 1900s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co., shows a view of High Street. It was the first street built in Singapore, and was constructed in 1821 by manual convict labourers. This street was once a trading ground for Northern Indian settlers such as Sindhis and Sikhs who ran their family retail businesses and small department stores for clothes, fabrics and jewellery. Seen at the end of High Street is the Fort Canning Hill. Hotel de L'Europe can also be seen on the right side of the photograph. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.