This photograph shows a view of High Street, and Fort Canning Hill at the end of the street. The flagstaff on Fort Canning Hill is decorated with bunting for a special occasion. High Street was the first street built in Singapore in 1821 by manual convict labourers. This street was once a trading ground for Northern Indian settlers such as Sindhis and Sikhs who ran their family retail businesses and small department stores for clothes, fabrics and jewellery. On the right can be seen the signage for Wassiamall Assoomall, which occupied Nos. 3, 4 and 5. Title from handwritten notes, on front of photograph. Information contributed by Richard Hale. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.