This is a photograph showing a wide angle view of the Sri Mariamman Temple and its surroundings at South Bridge Road. The temple is shown against a backdrop of clear blue skies, tall apartment blocks and a commercial building. Men and women can be seen walking along the side of the road and passing by the temple. The Sri Mariamman temple was established by Indian pioneer Naraina Pillai (or Narayana Pillay) in 1827 and is dedicated to Sri Mariamman, the great goddess worshipped for health and prosperity. Built in the South Indian Dravidian style, the elaborately-decorated gopuram, or entrance tower, which is shown in the photograph, stands at six levels in height and is a landmark in the area. The full length of the temple walls with decorative images of Hindu deities on the entrance roof and statues of white cows sitting atop, is captured. Title devised by library staff
All Rights Reserved. National Library Board Singapore 2004.