This photograph, taken about 1880 or later, shows Kling Street looking away from Raffles Place. Kling Street was renamed Chulia Street in 1922. The shop sign halfway down on the right is of Eng Bun Chiang, a general warehouseman, at No.12 Kling Street, (according to the Straits Directory for 1880). The street sign for Market Street can be seen far down on the left.Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.