This photographs shows the demolition of old shophouses at Nam Lock Street with the Kallang Gas Works in the background. In 1862, the Kallang Gas Works was built to supply the first piped gas in Singapore to enable street lighting. It was under 24 hour surveillance, guarded by Gurkhas since it was opened until it ceased operation on 23 Mar 1998. Donated by Sathakathuda Sahib S/O Peer Mohd, at the Heritage Roadshow 2008. HRS3_012. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
This digital copy © National Library Board Singapore 2008. The original work © Sathakathuda Sahib S/O Peer Mohd.