This is a photograph of Boat Quay (spelt as Quai) with sampans, bumboats and lighters berthed on both sides of the Singapore River, as well as floating in the river. It was taken by G.R. Lambert & Co. in 1893. Rows of shophouses can be seen on the left side of the photograph. The covered landing stage on the right was the site of the original Hallpike Boatyard where boat building and repairs were carried out from 1823 to late 1860s.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.