Skip to Main Content

Dalhousie monument in the 1890s : general view

This 1890s photograph shows a view of the Dalhousie Obelisk monument. This memorial obelisk was erected to commemorate the visit of Lord James Andrew, the Marquise of Dalhousie, Governor-General of India (1848-1856) in February 1850. Originally erected near Dalhousie Pier at a site along the Singapore River, the monument has since been relocated to Empress Place, near the Victoria Theatre and Concert Hall. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.

Credit Line

All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.

Subjects


Suggested Pictures

Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore