This 1974 photograph shows the "Mount Echo" house, located at Tanglin Road. It shows a view of a covered porch with columns. The two-storey mansion was originally built around 1860. It was the residence of Joaquim d’Almeida until 1864 when the house was sold to Lewis J Fraser of Maclaine Fraser & Co. The house was rebuilt in 1876 and auctioned in 1882 on the bankruptcy of Maclaine Fraser & Co. It was bought by the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation as the manager’s residence. The building in the photograph was built in 1912. Sold by the Bank in the 1970s it remained vacant until the site was purchased by the Brunei Government. The house was torn down and the Brunei High Commission constructed. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.