by Cornelius-Takahama, Vernon
Ellenborough Market, market and trading centre in Ellenborough Street by the Singapore River, located in the Central Region of Singapore. It was named after Ellenborough, Lord, the Governor-General of India (1841-1844). The original Ellenborough Market was first built in 1845 but was later extended with another structure by its side in 1899. Fire gutted the market in 1968, and the building was demolished sometime later.
While Ellenborough Street was being laid, construction of the first Ellenborough Market began in May 1845, built by Captain Charles Edward Faber. In April 1846, he was criticised for the bad construction, as cracks in several places were found on the walls of this new market. A cast iron structure from an Edinburgh (Scotland) exhibition was purchased in its entirety. It was dismantled and reconstructed as a building extension in 1899, set up by the side of the original market. Both were open-sided buildings.
The Malays called it Pasar Bahru meaning "New Market". Teochews populated the area, and as a result, the market was nicknamed "Teochew Market", and nearby hawker-stalls specialised in well-known Teochew food. It was a wet market noted for its fresh fish and dried seafood products. A fire destroyed the Ellenborough Market on 30 January 1968 resulting in the loss of approximately S$253,000 and affecting 1000 hawkers and stall-holders. The remains of the market were demolished sometime later, and Housing Development Board flats were constructed on the site in the early 1970s.
Ellenborough Street and Fish Street by the Singapore River, were on either side of the Ellenborough Market.
Malay name: Pasar Bahru in Malay means "New Market".
(1) In Hokkien, Sin Pa Sat Khau meaning "The mouth of the New Market".
(2) In Hokkien, Sin Pa-sat Pi, or in Cantonese, San Pa-sat Pin meaning "Beside the New Market".
Buckley, C. B. (1984). An anecdotal history of old times in Singapore: 1819-1867 (pp. 430, 441, 452). Singapore: Oxford University Press.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 BUC)
Makepeace, W., Brooke, G. E., & Braddell, R. St. J. (Eds.). (1991). One hundred years of Singapore (Vol. 1, pp. 20-21, 333). Singapore: Oxford University Press.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 ONE)
Tyers, R. K. (1993). Ray Tyers' Singapore: Then and now (pp. 20-21). Singapore: Landmark Books.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 TYE)
Firmstone, H. W. (1905, February). Chinese names of streets and places in Singapore and the Peninsula. Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 42, 86, 88.
(Call no.: RSING 959.5 FIR-[IC])
Sheppard, M. (Ed.). (1982). Singapore 150 years (p. 212). Singapore: Times Books International.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 SIN)
Singapore Year Book (p. 224). (1966-1970). Singapore: Government Printing Office.
(Call no.: RCLOS 959.57 SIN)
Plan to help 1,000 Hawkers. (1975, May 5). The Straits Times, p. 10.
The information in this article is valid as at 1999 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.
Singapore River (Singapore)
Arts>>Architecture>>Public and commercial buildings
Architecture and Landscape>>Streets and Places
Architecture and Landscape>>Building Types>>Commercial Buildings
Streets and Places