Tanglin Barracks

The Tanglin Barracks was built by George Chancellor Collyer in 1861 for European troops. The barracks served the British garrison infantry battalion until the fall of Singapore in 1942. After the war, it was home to the General Headquarters of the Far East Land Forces until the withdrawal of British troops in 1971. From 1972 to 1989, the site became the headquarters of the Ministry of Defence and the Central Manpower Base. In 2001, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) moved into the main building of the barracks. The area has since been redeveloped ...

Sandes Soldiers Home

The Sandes Soldiers Home in Singapore was established in November 1949 by the Christian churches, in the tradition of Elise Sandes’s homes for British soldiers. Its premises on Portsdown Road, Wessex Estate, were used by the Singapore ...

The Straits Trading Company Limited

The Straits Trading Company Limited (STC) was incorporated as a tin-smelting company on 8 November 1887. Its smelter on Pulau Brani was famed for its production of “Straits Tin”, which by the 1900s had become internationally recognised ...

Tan Keong Choon

Tan Keong Choon (b. 29 October 1918, Amoy, Fukien, China–d. 27 October 2015, Singapore ), nephew of the late Tan Kah Kee, was a prominent Chinese businessman who made his wealth from rubber trading between the 1950s and 70s. Among ...

Tanglin Club

One of Singapore’s most prominent social clubs, Tanglin Club was founded in 1865 to cater to the social and recreational needs of the British. Up until the 1960s, club members were predominantly British.

Singapore Stone

An ancient relic, the Singapore Stone is a slab of sandstone that was a large boulder discovered in June 1819 in Singapore. It was blown up in 1843 to widen the mouth of the Singapore River. It features a yet-to-be-deciphered ancient ...

Henry Nicholas Ridley

Henry Nicholas Ridley (CMG) (FRS) (b. 10 December 1855, West Harling, Norfolk, England–d. 24 October 1956, Kew, Surrey, England) is the first director of the Singapore Botanic Gardens from 1888 to 1912. Ridley is also known as the ...

Bukit Batok war memorials

The Bukit Batok war memorials consisted of the Syonan Chureito and the British Memorial Cross, built during the Japanese Occupation (1942–45) to honour dead soldiers ...

Stamford House

Stamford House, located at the junction of Stamford Road and Hill Street, is an ornate building designed in the Venetian Renaissance style favoured during the Victorian ...

National Service riots of 1954

Singapore’s earliest attempt to introduce compulsory conscription was in 1952. The endeavour was unsuccessful as it was vigorously resisted by Chinese middle school students and their parents, who did not see the need to support the ...

Arumugam Ponnu Rajah

Arumugam Ponnu Rajah (b. 7 July 1911, Port Dickson, Malaya – d. 28 September 1999, Singapore), better known as A. P. Rajah, was Singapore’s first High Commissioner to Britain. He was also the first Supreme Court judge to remain on ...