The S.V.C. Drill Hall, Beach Road, 1908-1933

 

Title
The S.V.C. Drill Hall, Beach Road, 1908-1933
Description
This is a side view of a section of Drill Hall, headquarters of the Singapore Volunteer Corps (SVC) and Straits Settlements Volunteer Force (SSVF) at Beach Road from 1908 to 1933. The Drill Hall was adjacent to the Chinese Volunteer Club house. It was also home to the Singapore Volunteer Artillery or SVA. By 1957, the complex was known as "Headquarters of the Singapore Military Forces". SVC was established in 1901 and disbanded in 1921. SVC comprised of the Singapore Volunteer Rifles, Singapore Volunteer Engineers and Singapore Volunteer Infantry. SSVF was formed in January 1922 and disbanded and demobilised after the British reoccupation of Singapore in 1945. Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book A history of the Singapore Volunteer Corps 1854-1937, being also an historical outline of volunteering in Malaya, page [62b]