Tuan Mong High School at Tank Road, between 1955 and 1960

 

Title
Tuan Mong High School at Tank Road, between 1955 and 1960
Description
This is the façade of the three-storey Tuan Mong High School at Tank Road. The school was established in 1906 as a primary school by Teochew clan leaders. It functioned at Hill Street until 1918, when it was relocated to Tank Road. In 1953, Ngee Ann Kongsi (義安公司) took over the management of the school. It was renamed "Tuan Mong High School" (端蒙中学) when secondary levels were included in 1955. The old school building was demolished to make way for Teochew Building that was completed in 1963. The school occupied the three upper floors of the four-storey Teochew Building while the lower floor housed the offices of Ngee Ann Kongsi and Singapore Teochew Poit Ip Huay Kuan (新加坡潮州八邑会馆). The school was closed down on 31 December 1994 due to falling enrolment. Past principals include Mr. Tan Keng Cheow (陈景昭, 1951-1964); Mr. Kwok Hen Ching (1967-1976); and Mr. Chen Siew Yui (1988-1992). Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book 新加坡潮州八邑会馆金禧纪念刊, page 141