River Valley Government Chinese High School at Jalan Kuala, between 1958 and 1967

 

Title
River Valley Government Chinese High School at Jalan Kuala, between 1958 and 1967
Description
This is a view of the classroom blocks of River Valley Government Chinese High School (立化政府华文中学) at 11, Jalan Kuala, off River Valley Road. The school was founded in 1956 as Singapore Government Chinese Middle School and occupied the premises of Seng Poh Primary School. Later, it was renamed "Queenstown Government Chinese Middle School" when it moved to Strathmore Avenue. In 1958, the school was relocated to Jalan Kuala and renamed "River Valley Government Chinese Middle School". By 1980, it was renamed "River Valley High School". In December 1986, it was relocated to the former premises of Jurong Junior College at 698, West Coast Road. The school was declared open by Dr. Tan Cheng Bock, Member of Parliament for Ayer Rajah, on 14 January 1989. It was granted autonomous status by Ministry of Education in 1994. In 2004, the school building underwent upgrading and was relocated to temporary holdings – first at Commonwealth (2005-2006) and later at the former premises of St. Andrew's Junior College at 2, Malan Road (2006-2009). In January 2010, it was relocated to Jalan Boon Lay. Past principals include Mr. Sun Yat Sun (孙一尘, 1956-1960); Mr. Lim Hui Eng (林惠瀛, 1960-1962); Mr. Wong Cheong Chie (王昌稚, 1962-1964); Mr. Wong Bing Chie (王炳绩, 1964-1974); Madam Leong Fan Chin (梁环清, 1974-1993); Mr. Tham Tuck Meng (谭德明, 1993-2002); Miss Ek Soo Ben (易素雯, Jan 2003-2009); and Mr. Koh Yong Chiah (许永正, 2009-to date). Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book 2nd national day and River Valley Community Centre's 6th anniversary celebration souvenir magazine 1967, page 70