Headquarters of  "F" Malay Coy, S.V.C., 1910-1937 at the old Gaol on Bras Basah Road

 

Title
Headquarters of "F" Malay Coy, S.V.C., 1910-1937 at the old Gaol on Bras Basah Road
Description
This is a view of the old building of the Singapore Convict Jail or Gaol at Bras Basah Road, used as the headquarters of "F" Malay Company of the Singapore Volunteer Corps between 1910 and 1937. The first prison was built in 1841 and occupied the entire space bounded by Bras Basah Road, Queen Street, Stamford Road and Bencoolen Street. The old jail was abandoned in 1882, when the prisoners were transferred to Outram Prison. The building became the headquarters of "F" Malay Company of the Singapore Volunteer Corps between 1910 and 1937. The Catholic Young Men's Association eventually occupied the old jail building. Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book A history of the Singapore Volunteer Corps 1854-1937, being also an historical outline of volunteering in Malaya, page [66a]