St. Nicholas Girls

 

Title
St. Nicholas Girls' School at Victoria Street, between 1949 and 1980
Description
This is a view of St. Nicholas Girls' School at Victoria Street. The school was started by Sisters of the Infant Jesus on 16 January 1933 as "Victoria Girls' School", a Chinese-medium primary school for girls, and housed in the former building of Hotel van Wijk near the junction of Victoria Street and Stamford Road. It was relocated to Town Convent at Victoria Street in 1949. By 1980, the school building at Victoria Street could no longer house the entire school. Thus, certain classes were held in the former Tao Nan School at Armenian Street and the former Raffles Girls' Primary School at Queen Street. St. Nicholas Girls' School finally moved into the new premises at Ang Mo Kio Street 13 on 2 January 1985. It was declared open by Dr. Tony Tan Keng Yam, Minister for Education, on 23 August 1986. In 1992, it became "CHIJ St. Nicholas Girls' School", and was granted autonomous status by Ministry of Education in 1995. In January 2010, the primary section was temporarily relocated to the former Kebun Baru Primary School site at 6, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 2, and the secondary section to the former First Toa Payoh Secondary School site at 430, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, while waiting for completion of PRIME programme (Programme for Rebuilding and Improving Existing Schools). Past principals include Sister Francise Lee (1940-1971); Mrs. Hwang-Lee Poh See (1972-Dec 2000); Miss Helen Choo Chieh Chen (朱雪贞, 2001-Dec 2006); Madam Chan Wan Siong (陈韵嫦, Dec 2006-Dec 2011); and Mrs. Tan-Soh Wai Lan (苏惠兰, Dec 2011-to date). Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book 135 years of CHIJ in Singapore : 1854-1989, page 24