CHIJ Opera Estate off Siglap Road, between 1959 and 1989

 

Title
CHIJ Opera Estate off Siglap Road, between 1959 and 1989
Description
This is a view of the four-storey Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Opera Estate, off Siglap Road. It was established in 1959 by Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus as a primary school. On 27 March 1990, the school merged with the primary section of Katong Convent to form CHIJ (Katong) Primary and occupies the renovated premises at 17, Martia Road. Katong Convent Secondary School remains at 346, Marine Terrace and became "CHIJ Katong Convent". Past principals of CHIJ Opera Estate include Mrs. Freda Ferrao; and Mrs. Doris Teoh Soon Neo (1969-Mar 1990). Past principals of CHIJ (Katong) Primary include Mrs. Doris Teoh Soon Neo (Mar 1990-Nov 1991); Miss Brenda Yeow Chien Chien (Nov 1991-Jun 1997); Mrs. Magdalene Bheem nee Chin Ming Yew (陈明有, 1997-2001); Mrs. Margaret Tan Soon Kee (陈顺枝, 2006-Dec 2009); and Madam Geraldine See Sue-Lyn (施素玲, Dec 2009-to date). Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book 135 years of CHIJ in Singapore : 1854-1989, page 26