Singapore Volunteer Rifle Corps at Fort Fullerton, circa 1865

 

Title
Singapore Volunteer Rifle Corps at Fort Fullerton, circa 1865
Description
A group photograph of members of Singapore Volunteer Rifle Corps (SVRC) at Fort Fullerton. Fort Fullerton was built in 1829 and named after Sir Robert Fullerton (b.1773-d.1831), Governor of the Straits Settlements (1826-1830). Captain J. Murray was the Commandant of SVRC from 1865 to 1866. SVRC was formed as a private Corps in 1854 and disbanded on 16 December 1887. Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book A history of the Singapore Volunteer Corps 1854-1937, being also an historical outline of volunteering in Malaya, page [12a]