Chung Hwa Girls

 

Title
Chung Hwa Girls' High School at Bartley Road, 1973
Description
An artist's impression of Chung Hwa Girls' High School at 191, Bartley Road. Chung Hwa Girls' School was established at Mohamed Sultan Road on 15 September 1911 as the first Chinese-medium girls' school by the Chinese community. It was relocated to 57, Niven Road in 1925. By 1951, the secondary classes shifted to Bartley Road and became "Chung Hwa Girls' High School" (中华女子中学校). The primary school was closed down in 1980 due to declining enrolment. The secondary school became "Chung Hwa High School" (中华中学)in 1984. In January 1987, it moved to 10, Serangoon Avenue 4 and became "Zhonghua Secondary School" (Hanyu Pinyin equivalent of Chung Hwa). It was declared open by Mr. Goh Choon Kang, Member of Parliament for Braddell Heights, on 15 September 1989. It was granted autonomous status by Ministry of Education in 1996. On 27 November 1999, it was relocated to 13, Serangoon Avenue 3. The new premises was declared open by Mr. Goh Choon Kang, Member of Parliament for Marine Parade GRC, on 8 September 2001. Past principals include Madam Wang Yu Chong (1939-Dec 1951); Madam Sheng Peck Choo (盛碧珠, 1955-Dec 1977); Madam Sim Miaw Chan (1978-1985); Mrs. Ng-Gan Lay Choo (1986-1995); Mrs. Chang Swee Tong (1998-2001); Miss Tan Hwee Pin (Dec 2002-2007); and Mrs. Dolly Ong Kim Leng (2008-to date).
Source
Taken from book 新加坡中华女子中学创校六十周年纪念特刊 : 一九一一-一九七一, page [vii]