Nan Chiau Girls

 

Title
Nan Chiau Girls' High School at Kim Yam Road, between 1947 and 1969
Description
This is the façade of Nan Chiau Girls' High School (南桥女子中学校) at 46, Kim Yam Road. The school was founded as "Nan Chiau Teachers' Training College" at Kim Yam Road in 1941 by Mr. Tan Kah Kee, a Hokkien philanthropist. In March 1947, it became a girls' school, "Nan Chiau Girls' High School" (南侨女子中学). In 1965, the school was relocated to a temporary holding site at 332, Guillemard Road for rebuilding before moving back to Kim Yam Road in 1969. The new premises was declared open by Mr. Ong Pang Boon, Minister for Education, on 8 March 1969. In 1977, another storey was added to the school building. By 1979, it became a full school and functioning at Kim Yam Road. It went co-educational in 1984 with the enrolment of male students, and was renamed "Nan Chiau High School" (南侨中学). In December 2000, the primary and secondary sections were relocated to 50, Anchorvale Link and 20, Anchorvale Link in Sengkang, respectively. Past principals of Nan Chiau High School are Mr. Yang Zhenli (1947-1950); Madam Qiu Rentuan (1951-Jul 1960); Madam Lim Fang Lan (林芳蘭, Dec 1960-Dec 1967); Madam Kau Ah Suo (Jan 1969 -1988); Mr. Su Wei Cher (1989-1997); Mr. Ng Lee Huat (1998-Apr 2004); Mr. Yeo Kuerk Heng (May-Dec 2004); Mr. Ong Kian Choon (王建春, Dec 2004-2010); and Mr. Tan Yee Kan (陈毅刚, Dec 2010-to date). Past principal of Nan Chiau Primary School include Mr. Chia Soo Keng (谢树庆, 2001-Dec 2007); and Mr. Tan Chun Ming (陈俊明, Dec 2007-to date). Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book 南侨女子中学校创校卅五年纪念特刊 = Nan Chiau Girls' High School 35th anniversary souvenir magazine, 1947-1982, page 12