Whampoa Secondary School (Chinese) at St. George

 

Title
Whampoa Secondary School (Chinese) at St. George's Road between 1961 and 1963
Description
This is side view of the three-storey classroom block of Whampoa Secondary School (Chinese) at St. George's Road. The Chinese-medium school was declared open by Mr. Buang Omar Junid, Parliamentary Secretary for Health and Law and Legislative Assemblyman for Kallang, in May 1961. It was closed in 1994 due to dwindling enrolment. The school was named after Mr. Whampoa Hoo Ah Kay, a pioneer merchant who also served as the first Chinese member of the Singapore Legislative Council in 1867. Title devised by Library staff.
Source
Taken from book Democratic socialism in action, June 1959-April 1963, page [48]