This photograph shows a general view of Lau Pa Sat (Telok Ayer Market or "Old Market"), located in the heart of the Central business district. Built in 1894, it is now a national monument and the largest Victorian filigree cast-iron structure in Southeast Asia. It evolved and changed with the city centre from a fish market in the 1820s to a food and entertainment complex by 1989. Photograph donated by Peh Heng Huat and displayed at Heritage Roadshow 2007. Date of creation estimated. Title devised by Library staff.
This digital copy © National Library Board Singapore 2007. The original work © Peh Heng Huat.