This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. has a handwritten note "Museum Singapore (Orchard Road)" on the front. The photograph shows a view of the original 1887 front block of the Raffles Library and Museum, at Stamford Road. The design was guided by the Renaissance principles of balance and symmetry. The building rises out of a ground floor with a rusticated base, repetitive pilasters in the ionic order alternating with pedimented windows topped by a roof parapet with decorative finials and a vautless single-span dome. Today, this building is known as the National Museum of Singapore. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.