This 1907 photograph is mounted on a board, with handwritten words "Opening of Thomson Rd Reservoir, 188 no23" on the back. The photograph shows the Impounding Reservoir built in 1857, which was enlarged and renamed Thomson Road Reservoir in 1907. In 1922, the reservoir was renamed MacRitchie Reservoir after James MacRitchie, who was Municipal Engineer of Singapore from 1883 to 1895. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.