This 1880s photograph shows a view of the Tan Kim Seng Fountain, at Battery Road. The fountain was built to commemorate Tan Kim Seng who had donated $13,000 to the government for the construction of Singapore’s first reservoir and waterworks. The fountain was unveiled on 19 May 1882. It was later relocated to Elizabeth Walk in 1929. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.