This 1885 photograph shows a view of the Ladies Tennis Ground. Taken from the corner of Bencoolen Street and Orchard Road, the photograph depicts a lawn which was known as Dhoby Green. This open area was initially used by the Indian ‘dhobies’ or laundrymen to lay out to dry the clothes that they had washed. Subsequently, the lawn was used by the Ladies Lawn Tennis Club from 1884 to 1924. The clubhouse, built in 1905, can be seen in the background. It is the second clubhouse of the Ladies Lawn Tennis Club, with the first one having been located at Penang Lane. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Title devised by library staff.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.