This photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of the General Post Office and the Exchange building probably taken in 1880s. There is a handwritten note, "Post Office & Singapore Club" above the photograph. The first building on the right is the Exchange building. Completed in 1879, its tenants include the Singapore Chamber of Commerce and the Singapore Club. It was demolished sometime between late 1923 and early 1924 for the construction of the Fullerton Building, which is on the site of present day Fullerton Hotel. The building next to it is the General Post Office, built in 1874. Title from inscription above the photograph. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.