This late 1890s photograph from G. R. Lambert & Co. shows the Central Police Station on the left, facing the Police Court on the right. There is a handwritten note, "South Bridge Road Singapore. Police Courts & Station", above the photograph. The Central Police Station was opened in April 1886 but after seven years the façade was showing signs of listing and by the end of 1895 a verandah, extended central portico and two porticos at either end had been added to the building to shore it up, as is seen in this photo. Problems continued and in 1903 it was demolished. A later smaller building on the same site was opened in about 1905 and demolished in 1977. Title devised by Library staff. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.