This 1890s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows Tanjong Pagar Dock. In the centre of the photograph are two vessels undergoing repair in the Victoria Dock. Another vessel can be seen in Albert Dock in the background on the left. The Victoria Dock opened in 1868 while the Albert Dock opened in 1879. It appears that this photograph was a posed publicity shot due to the large numbers of workers and executives standing around and facing the camera. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated. Information contributed by Richard Hale.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.