This is a 1950s photograph of the Victoria Theatre (formerly known as Town Hall) and Victoria Memorial Hall (renamed as the Victoria Concert Hall in 1980), taken from under an arch on the Anderson Bridge. The 54m clock tower in the picture, linking the theatre and concert hall, was completed in 1906. The Victoria Theatre and Victoria Concert Hall was gazetted as a national monument on 14 February 1992. Digitised from an album page containing 7 photographs described collectively as "Indian characters in Singapore". Part of a compiled album, with a label : "PHOTOGRAPHS BY : R.K. TYERS. Staff STRAITS STEAMSHIP CO., LTD. SINGAPORE." Title transcribed from album. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.