This 1950s photograph depicts three boys standing near the entrance of Snake Temple which is located at Sungai Kluang near Bayan Lepas airport in Penang Island. The temple was built around 1850 and in memory of Chor Soo Kong, a Buddhist monk who provided shelter for snakes, when he lived in the jungle. Part of a compiled album, with a label : "PHOTOGRAPHS BY : R.K. TYERS. Staff STRAITS STEAMSHIP CO., LTD. SINGAPORE." Title transcribed from album.
Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.