Capitol Cinema : side view [2]


This 1982 photograph shows a side view of the old Capitol Cinema on Stamford Road, previously known as Capitol Theatre. Completed in 1930, it served as a theatre until 1946, when it became Shaw Organisation's flagship cinema. In 1984, it was earmarked for urban redevelopment and relaunched as Capitol Building (formerly Shaw Building) in 1992. It screened its last movie on 29 December 1998. Title devised by Library staff.

Credit Line

From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.

Subjects
  • Architecture and Landscape>>Building Types>>Commercial Buildings
  • Motion picture theaters--Singapore--Photographs
  • Commercial buildings--Singapore--Photographs

Tags
 

Suggested Pictures
Suggested Pictures from National Archives of Singapore