This is a photograph showing a view of the Sri Mariamman Temple and its surroundings at South Bridge Road. The Sri Mariamman temple was established by Indian pioneer Naraina Pillai (or Narayana Pillay) in 1827 and is dedicated to Sri Mariamman, the great goddess worshipped for health and prosperity. Built in the South Indian Dravidian style, the elaborately-decorated gopuram, or entrance tower, which is shown in the photograph, stands at six levels in height and is a landmark in the area. Title devised by library staff. Photograph donated by Ho Seng Huat and displayed at the Heritage Roadshow 2008. HRS3_408.
This digital copy © National Library Board Singapore 2008. The original work © Ho Seng Huat.