This 1890 photograph has the handwritten words "No. 22 7052 Lee 1/387. The S'pore volunteer constabulary Drill Hall backs of Post Office & Club & Johnston's Pier. Before the present reclamation of rd was made. 2/520. Drill Hall built 1890. Re-erected on present site 1906. XX11 16. No 3" on the back. This photograph shows Johnston's Pier and the Exchange Building which was built in 1870 on the site of Fort Fullerton. (Caption source : Toh, p32, 34 / Tyers, p98, 102).
Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.