This 1985 photograph shows the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) at Victoria Street. CHIJ is a premier girls’ school established in 1854 by an order of French Catholic nuns. In 1983, the primary and secondary schools relocated to no. 626 and no. 628 Lorong 1 Toa Payoh respectively. The site was redeveloped into Chijmes, which offers retail and dining opportunities. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.