This 1880s photograph from G.R. Lambert & Co. shows a view of the St. Andrew's Cathedral in the background, and the statue of Sir Stamford Raffles in the centre of the Esplanade. Sculpted by Thomas Woolner (a graduate of the Royal Academy), the Raffles' statue was unveiled installed on 27 June 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The St. Andrew's Cathedral, the oldest Anglican house of worship in Singapore, was designed by Lieutenant-Colonel Ronald MacPherson and built by Indian convict labourers. It was gazetted as a national monument in 1973. Title from inscription, on front of photograph. Title devised by Library staff. Date of creation estimated.
From the Lee Kip Lin Collection. All rights reserved. Lee Kip Lin and National Library Board, Singapore 2009.