Stamford House

Stamford HouseStamford House, located at the junction of Stamford Road and Hill Street, is an ornate building designed in the Venetian Renaissance style favoured during the Victorian era. Built in 1904, it was designed by Swan and Maclaren architect R. A. J. Bidwell as a commercial entity. The building was better known as a hotel until it was sold in 1963 to a commercial enterprise. It was then acquired by the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) in 1984 for conservation and redevelopment. The building will be reopened in the third quarter of 2015 as part of a ...

Outram Prison

One of Singapore’s earliest prisons was located at the foot of Pearl’s Hill in Outram. The original civil jail at the site was built in 1847 by Charles Edward Faber; in 1882, a new prison complex was built around the old civil jail ...

Char kway teow

Char kway teow (炒粿条; chao guo tiao in Mandarin) is a dish of flat rice noodles and tubular yellow wheat noodles fried in garlic, sweet soya sauce and lard, with ingredients such as egg, Chinese waxed sausage, fishcake, beansprouts ...

Cholera outbreak of 1873

A cholera epidemic occurred in Singapore in July 1873 and lasted till September the same year, resulting in 857 reported cases and 448 deaths. The 1873 outbreak was particularly deadly with a mortality rate of 41.5 percent. Port health ...

Handover of Cocos (Keeling) Islands to Australia

On 23 November 1955, the administrative responsibility for the Cocos (Keeling) Islands was transferred from the Colony of Singapore to the Commonwealth of Australia. The Cocos Islands had been part of the Straits Settlements until ...

Staff Training Institute (Civil Service College)

The Staff Training Institute was set up in 1971 by the government for the training of civil servants in order to enhance the efficiency of the public sector. The establishment of the institute marked an important milestone in the training ...

1824 Treaty of Friendship and Alliance

The Treaty of Friendship and Alliance was signed on 2 August 1824 between the East India Company (EIC), representing the British government, Sultan Husain Shah (also spelt Hussein Shah) and Temenggong Abdu’r Rahman, representing the ...

Bidadari Cemetery

Bidadari CemeteryBidadari Cemetery was located at the base of Mount Vernon and bounded by Bartley Road and Upper Serangoon Road. It served the Christian, Muslim, Hindu and Sinhalese ...

Clifford Pier

Clifford PierSituated on Collyer Quay at the mouth of the Singapore River, Clifford Pier was built between 1927 and 1933, and officially opened by then Governor Cecil Clementi ...

Shared Values

The Shared Values are five national values of Singapore. They were formalised by the government on 15 January 1991 to forge a national identity in the face of a changing society with evolving values. The Shared Values were formulated ...

River Safari

Officially opened on 28 February 2014, River Safari is Asia’s first river-themed zoo. The S$160-million park attraction is spread across 12 ha of land in Mandai. Focused on freshwater habitat conservation, the safari houses the world’s ...