Aljunied Road


Aljunied Road stretches from Macpherson Road to Geylang Road. It was named after an Arab, Syed Ali bin Mohamed Al-Junid, by Muslim community leader Dr Munshi on 28 May 1926. A now prominent landmark on Aljunied Road is the Aljunied MRT Station. After the junction with Macpherson Road, Aljunied Road continues as Upper Aljunied Road until it meets Upper Serangoon Road.

In 1819, Syed Ali’s father Syed Sharif Omar Aljunied, a young prince and descendant of Prophet Mohammed, uprooted his family from Palembang to Temasek (Singapore) when he heard that the island was to be a centre for free trade. In 1857, Syed Ali presented five acres of land to Tan Tock Seng Hospital. This area known as "Syed Ali's land" was situated in Victoria, Queen and Arab streets. The Aljunied family house was in Balestier Road for more than a hundred years.



Author
Vernon Cornelius



References
Samuel, D. S. (1939). Malayan street names: What they mean and whom they commemorate. Ipoh: Mercantile Press.
(Call no.: RSING 959.5 RAJ)

Singapore days of old: A special commemorative history of Singapore published on the 10th anniversary of Singapore Tatler (pp. 54-55). (1992). Hong Kong: Illustrated Magazine.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 SIN)

The spice of life that is Aljunied. (1996). Singapore: Oracle Works.
(Call no.: RSING 307.76095957 SPI)




The information in this article is valid as at 1999 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Subject
Architecture and Landscape>>Streets and Places
Street names--Singapore
Arts>>Architecture>>Public and commercial buildings

All Rights Reserved. National Library Board Singapore 2006.