Finlayson Green


Finlayson Green

 

Finlayson Green, the name of both a traffic island and a street, is located in the Downtown Core of the Central Area Region. The green lung served as a road divider in the busy city centre although little is left of it.

Finlayson Green is a triangular island oasis of flowering shrubs and trees, designed for visual pleasantness, and for shady cool breaks amidst heavy high-rise buildings around. Since the post-war years it has lost its size due to road-widening processes. The green is bounded by Collyer Quay, Raffles Quay and Finlayson Green, the road that takes its name from the green. Traditionally the buildings around the green were offices of shipping and insurance companies. Standing at 19-storeys, the Asia Insurance Building (1954), had been a landmark in Singapore's skyline between the 1950s and 1960s. The original 3-storey building on this site was first occupied by the Union Insurance of Canton, and then later the South British Insurance Company until the building was demolished to make way for the Asia Insurance Building.

Finlayson Green derives its name from the famed John Finlayson, serving the Boustead Company Penang up to 1882, then Chairman of the Tanjong Pagar Dockyard Company between 1883 and 1895. John Finlayson also served as Legislative Councillor and Chairman of the Chamber of Commerce.



Author
Vernon Cornelius



References 
Tyers, R. K. (1993). Ray Tyers' Singapore: Then and now (pp. 108, 109). Singapore: Landmark Books.
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 TYE)
 



The information in this article is valid as at 1999 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Subject
Architecture and Landscape>>Streets and Places
Street names--Singapore
Arts>>Architecture>>Public and commercial buildings

All Rights Reserved. National Library Board Singapore 2005.