Minden Road



 

Minden Road connects Harding Road and Napier Road. The road was named in commemoration of the battle of the Malborough's wars. Once a nutmeg estate, Minden Road is now home to the Tanglin Golf Course, St. George's Church and several high commissions and embassies.

History
Minden Road was a part of what was known as Mount Harriet, a nutmeg estate until 1860. The nutmeg estate was owned by Colonial Treasurer William Willans and Whampoa Hoo Ah Kay. The area was purchased by the British authorities in 1860 for military use for 25,000 Spanish dollars and Minden Road became a part of the British Military Area (BMA) of Tanglin. BMA Tanglin included the area around Holland Road, Napier Road, Cluny Road, Harding Road, Ridout Road, Ridley Park, Firestone Park and Tanglin Road as well. From 1872 onwards, BMA Tanglin was used to house the Tanglin Barracks, the General Headquarters of the Far East British Forces. Being a part of a British Military Area, residential quarters were also built to home British families. In post-independence Singapore, the area came to be known more popularly as Tanglin Camp and was used to house the Defence Ministry until it moved to Bukit Gombak in 1988. Then, Minden Road would connect the Ministry of Defence headquarters to the Defence Ministry Complex. In the late 1990s, the area was redeveloped with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs moved into the main building of the 33 ha Tanglin Camp after the redevelopment.

Description
Minden Road is today home to the Tanglin Golf Course which includes the Tanglin Sports Complex, Tanglin Tennis Centre, St. George's Church which began as a garrison church, the Australian High Commission, British High Commission, Embassy of the United States of America, Gleneagles Hospital, the Singapore Botanical Gardens, Tanglin Police Station and a few other institutions are within the vicinity of this Road.



Author
Naidu Ratnala Thulaja



References 
Dunlop, Peter K. G. (2000). Street names of Singapore (pp. 21 23, 211). Singapore: Who's Who Publications.
(Call no.: SING 959.57 DUN)

Edwards, N., & Keys, Peter. (1988). Singapore: A guide to buildings, streets, places (p. 498). Singapore: Times Books International.
(Call no.: RSING 915.957 EDW)

Lee, E. (1990). Historic buildings of Singapore (pp. 16, 87). Singapore: Preservation of Monuments Board.
(Call no.: RSING 720.95957 LEE)

Samuel, D. (1991). Singapore's heritage: Through places of historical interest (pp. 255, 258). Singapore: Elixir Consultancy Service. 
(Call no.: RSING 959.57 SAM) 

Savage, V. R., & Yeoh, B. S. A. (2003). Toponymics: A study of Singapore street names (p. 265). Singapore: Eastern Universities Press.
(Call no.: 915.9570014 SAV)

Goh, Julia. (1992, November 27). 22 monuments to get identifying plaques from today. The Straits Times, Home, p. 33.

Tanglin Camp being redeveloped. (1998, January 3). The Straits Times, Home, p. 36.


Further Readings
Golf-asia.com. (1999-2000). The Royal Tanglin Golf Course. Retrieved on April 11, 2003, from golf-asia.com/sin/tanglin.html



The information in this article is valid as at 2003 and correct as far as we are able to ascertain from our sources. It is not intended to be an exhaustive or complete history of the subject. Please contact the Library for further reading materials on the topic.

Subject
Street names--Singapore
Arts>>Architecture>>Public and commercial buildings
Streets and Places
Architecture and Landscape>>Streets and Places

All Rights Reserved. National Library Board Singapore 2005.